Named after the Catholic parish St. Andrew, and settled by Mexican gold miners in 1948, the town has been a prominent mining camp since early on. The gold from the at first discovered placers gave out after just a few years, however the discovery of gold in an underground waterway in 1853 renewed the camp and it soon turned into a town. Mining of the channels was sufficiently lucrative for the town to totally rebuild after fires in 1858 and 1863. Gold found here greatly contributed to the Union's success amid the Civil War. San Andreas became the Calaveras County seat in 1866. It was said to be a rendezvous spor for Joaquin Murrieta. The post office was established in 1854.
Calaveras County Courthouse 30 Main Street. Built in 1867, the Calaveras County Courthouse, located at 30 North Main Street, in San Andreas. Calaveras County was one of the original 28 counties in California, it had five county seats during its first 16 years. As the mining populace moved, the county seat also moved. The town of San Andreas was the last thus remains. The old court house building was built in 1867 and was being used until 1966, when a new Government Center was built on the east part of town.
Bricks were locally made, as was the lime for the mortar. Typical for the time and region, the brick building featured iron doors and shutters on every exterior opening, affording protection against vandalism burglary and fire. The NRHP assignment does not mention an architectural style, however, the building has all the earmarks of being the Richardsonian Romanesque style.
The building also contained the jail, court and sheriff's office. Executions were held in the yard of the jail, the one was held on August 31st, 1888.
Charles Bolton, the notable Black Bart, stage coach outlaw, was held here amid his trial. He subsequently was convicted and sent to San Quentin for a sic years; served four years, 2 months, then paroled. National Register #72000221