Nikon Takes Giant Leap Forward
Nikon takes a gigantic step with it's Z Mirrorless Camera System creating a new
camera system with the capacity to utilize your legacy lenses, the Nikon Z6
Mirrorless Digital Camera with FTZ Mount Adapter Kit packages the FX-full frame
mirrorless camera body with the FTZ Mount Adapter.
Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Digital Camera
A part of Nikon's subsequent stage in their imaging venture, the Z6
Mirrorless Camera is situated as the "all-arounder" inside the new Z System.
Starting with the Z Mount itself, a large diameter layout with a short 16mm
flange distance enables Nikon to make smaller, yet ground-breaking cameras and
create advanced optics. The Z6 is among the first in this new series, and
highlights a high-performing FX-format 24.5MP BSI CMOS sensor and the EXPEED 6
Image Processing Engine conveying exceptional picture quality and speed with a
native ISO 100-51200 sensitivity range.
There is an advanced phase-detect autofocus system on the sensor utilizing 273
points handling 90% of the picture area, and the sensor highlights 5-axis
Vibration Reduction innovation for stabilized images and video with little
respect to the lens being utilized. This advanced hybridf autofocus framework
will likewise assist in shooting video. The Z6 highlights UHD 4K recording at
speeds up to 30p and can utilize the N-Log gamma profile alongside the camera's
10-bit HDMI output to make film quality video.
As with many mirrorless systems, the Z Series boasts a much more compact form factor than its DSLR counterparts. The Z6 is no exception with its slimmed down design and lighter build, though it maintains the weather sealing and ergonomics for which Nikon is known. The camera features multiple displays and screens for ease of use, including a 0.80x 3.6m-dot EVF with NIKKOR optics and a Fluorine coating, ensuring clear viewing. The rear of the camera is equipped with a 3.2" 2.1m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD while the top offers a dot-matrix OLED for quickly checking settings. For storage, the Z6 has a single XQD card slot that is compatible with CFexpress for faster speeds in the future. Additionally, the body is equipped with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Similarly as with numerous mirrorless frameworks, the Z Series flaunts a
substantially more compact form factor than the DSLRs before it. The Z6 is no
special case with its thinned down build and lighter design, however it keeps
the weather sealing and ergonomics for which Nikon is known. The camera includes
numerous screens and displays for convenience, including a 0.80x 3.6m-speck EVF
with NIKKOR optics and a Fluorine coating, guaranteeing clear viewing. The back
of the camera is furnished with a 3.2" 2.1m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD while
the top provides a dot-matrix OLED for rapidly checking settings. The Z6 has a
solitary XQD card slot that is compatable with CFexpress for quicker speeds
later on. Moreover, the body is outfitted with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Nikon Z System
Presenting the Z mount, Nikon's new full-frame mirrorless system guarantees
to provide class-leading picture quality and optics in a reduced form factor.
The Z mount itself makes a big deal about this conceivable with a 17% bigger
diameter than the F mount, utilizating further advanced optics and lens
designs, including ultra-quick f/0.95 choices. For keeping the camera and lens
size reduced, the Z mount includes a 65% shorter flange distance, which measures
only only 16mm, which takes into consideration drastically thinned down body
designs. The bigger mount additionally supports quicker and enhanced volume
correspondences between the body and lens to enhance performance all through the
24.5MP FX-Format BSI CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 6 Processor
A 24.5MP BSI CMOS sensor is used for all-around shooting, impressive low-light quality, and fast readout speeds to benefit continuous shooting, movies, and time-lapse recording. The back-illuminated design of the sensor affords noticeably cleaner high-sensitivity output for reduced noise when working at high ISO values, up to a native ISO 51200, as well as vivid and smooth quality at sensitivities as low as ISO 100. Benefitting the sensor is the apt EXPEED 6 image processor, which affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including the ability to shoot continuously at 12 fps in raw.
4K UHD Video Recording
Utilizing the sensor and processor attributes for more than just still imagery, the Z6 is also a more-than-capable multimedia camera. Video recording is possible at UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) using either the full-frame area or a DX crop area in 30p, 25, or 24p frame rates. Full HD 1080p video recording is also supported at up to 120p for slow motion playback, and video files can be saved to the in-camera memory cards or as an uncompressed file to an optional external recorder via HDMI out.
Advanced video functionalities have been added with the Z6. This includes the N-Log gamma for capturing flat-looking footage that maximizes dynamic range. Other additions are the ability to output high-quality 10-bit data over HDMI and an Electronic VR function for smooth handheld shooting. Focus Peaking can be used to benefit manual focus control and a Zebra Stripes option is also available to help detect over-exposed areas within the frame. Audio recording can be handled using the built-in stereo microphone or an optional external mic can be added via the 3.5mm stereo jack for greater control over quality, and live monitoring is possible via the headphone jack.
273-Point Phase-Detect AF System
Located on the sensor is an array of 273 phase-detect autofocus points covering 90% of the image area both vertically and horizontally. This provides fast and accurate focusing for both stills and video and with a wide coverage area, subject tracking will work out to near the edges of the frame. Hybrid AF is available for video, which will automatically switch between phase- and contrast-detect systems to provide smooth focus during shooting. Additionally, the latest NIKKOR Z lenses are optimized for silent operation.
- Built-in to the body is a 5-axis sensor-shift Vibration Reduction mechanism for up to 5 stops of stabilization regardless of the lens used. This system also works with adapted lenses when using the optional FTZ Adapter where 3-axis stabilization is used.
- A large 3.2" 2.1m-dot LCD screen is available for bright, clear, and vivid image playback and live view shooting. The screen has a tilting design to benefit working from both high and low angles, and it is also a touchscreen for more intuitive operation, navigation, and settings control.
- A 3.6m-dot electronic finder is present for comfortable eye-level viewing. It has a high 0.80x magnification and uses NIKKOR optics to guarantee a sharp, clear image. The finder also has a Fluorine coating for easier cleaning.
- The top panel of the Z6 is configured with a dot-matrix OLED. This low-energy display provides quick access to important camera settings.
- Configured with one XQD memory card slot, the camera will be able to quickly save images. The slot is compatible with CFexpress, enabling support for future media.
- A robust magnesium-alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- The ergonomic grip and overall form factor is shaped to benefit handling for extended periods of time and is further accentuated by an anti-slip material and a joystick for seamless settings and focus point selection.
- Built-in SnapBridge connectivity to enable seamless transfer of low-resolution imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi enables communication between the camera and a smart device and, additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance.
Included EN-EL15b rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 310 shots per charge, and in-camera charging is supported. This camera is also compatible with EN-EL15 and EN-EL15a batteries, however do not support in-camera charging.
Nikon FTZ Mount Adapter
Enabling the use of nearly any Nikon F-mount lens on Z-mount mirrorless camera bodies, the
FTZ Mount Adapter
is a sophisticated means for expanding the range of usable lenses. While compatible with approximately 360 distinct F-mount lenses, this adapter is especially ideal for use with over 90 E, G, and D-type lenses, where it fully maintains autofocus and auto-exposure capabilities for seamless use of the SLR lenses on the mirrorless body. The adapter, which is built from magnesium alloy and is weather-sealed, also incorporates a 1/4"-20 mount on the base to provide a more balanced means for working on a tripod with longer, heavier lenses.
- Full AF/AE supported when using:
- AF-S type G/D/E lenses
- AF-P type G/E lenses
- AF-I type D lenses
- AF-S / AF-I teleconverters
Nikon Z Mirrorless Components
Nikon Z7 Full Frame Mirrorless Camera
Nikon Z 24-70-Full Frame Zoom Lens
Nikon Z 35mm Full Frame Prime Lens
Nikon Z 50mm Full Frame Prime Lens
FTZ Mount Adapter
Other Nikon 35mm Digital Cameras to Consider
Nikon Z 6 -
Announced Aug 23, 2018 -
25 megapixels - 3.2″ screen - Full frame sensor
$2,596.95 - $3,443.90