The N1 is a responsive professional tool complemented with a new line of simply brilliant optics. Durability, ergonomics and operation are all
laudable for others to emulate.
The N1's moving parts such as dials and levers have been fitted with O-rings and rubber packing to repel dust and moisture intrusion. The body is entirely made of diecast
aluminum alloy which is as rigid as one could desire.
The feel of the N1 is heavily influenced by its fellow professional Contax SLRs. If you are already familiar with the brand, operation will immediately be intuitive. If you've never experienced Contax's professional cameras, the key is simplicity. Contaxes
do not come with a myriad of gadget-like gimmicks or over-engineered controls. They have what you need where you need it, in a straightforward manner that's impeccably easy to work with. Adjust shutter speeds or exposure compensation with their individual dials, or switch control to the command dial sensibly perched just
underneath your shutter finger. Switch autofocus point selection with the two-stage button right at your right thumb. And do it all through a viewfinder that's better delineated than any conventional autofocus SLR, and on a par with professional manual focus SLR viewfinders.
The default lens for the new mount is the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. This stellar optic feels and operates much like its manual focus Contax brethren. The image circle is enormous for a zoom lens of this range, resulting in minimal light falloff even when shooting at f/3.5 & 24mm. Color, contrast and out-of-focus characteristics are all on par with the absolute best of the revered Carl Zeiss T* line. Manual focus dampening is better than other autofocus lens manufacturer's efforts. Best of all, as on all the new autofocus lenses, there's no need to switch off of AF to modulate the focus.
• 5-point, 5-zone autofocus system: allows for full-time manual focus adjustment without switching off AF
• Fine Focus Bracketing: captures a series of identically exposed photos with miniscule focus movements-very valuable to macro and still life shooters
• 3 Metering systems: Evaluative, Classic center weighted, Fine spot Exposure bracketing can vary by 1/3rd, 1/2 or full stops
• Exposure bracketing: can vary by 1/3rd, 1/2 or full stops
• Top shutter speed of 1/8000th second featuring 1/250th flash synchronization shutter speed
• Brilliant glass pentaprism: exclusively developed for the N1 has silver applied to reflective surfaces by vacuum deposition
• Built-in viewfinder blind
• Optional 1.5" LCD viewfinder display screen: shows previews of exposure variances and a choice of color or monochrome rendition
• Informative Illuminated display panel
• 20 customable functions to individually tailor the N1's controls and operation to the user.
Buy the Contax N1 35mm SLR Autofocus Film Camera here:
Shutter speeds shortest
Shutter speeds longest
Centre-weighted - Average
25 - 5000
+ - 0.3 0.5 or 1
Viewfinder field of view
of field preview
Interchangable focusing screen
Guide Number (ISO100/m)
Number of Custom Functions
More Contax Film Cameras
Contax N1 35mm SLR Autofocus Film Camera
Reviewed by Gene Wright on