Courtland California Photo Tour


Courtland is situated along the Sacramento River

Courtland is situated along the Sacramento River 17 miles south-southwest of Sacramento. Courtland was christened after Courtland Sims, son of James V. Sims, an entrepreneur who founded a steamer landing in the community in 1870. The Courtland post office was established in 1872

The town of Courtland is situated on the east side of the Sacramento River right in the heart of the Sacramento Delta which is historically (pear orchards), the town was founded ias a shipping port for the fruit growers in 1870. The town contains 54 acres of land, containing around 154 parcels.

Comparable to Locke, Isleton and Walnut Grove, Courtland was once inhabited by Chinese Americans who cultivated the land, worked at the railroads and building the levees. Despite the fact that the Northern Courtland Chinese Commercial District has not been stabilized or restored, it is a critical a portion of the history of Courtland. Community members have communicated incredible interest for preserving this section of the town while the property owners have been investigating various conceivable approaches in during recent years (at the time of this article, no formal, details, arranges had been created).

Courtland is known for its annual Pear Fair in the summer. Pears are included in pies, jams, juices, chutneys, and even sausage! Also honored is the Pear Queen and her Court. A parade is commended while local bands play music for the duration of the day for everybody's happiness. An extremely fun occasion!

Bascule Bridge Sacramento River, Highway 160
Bascule Bridge Sacramento River, Highway 160
Bascule Bridge Sacramento River, Highway 160
Bascule Bridge Sacramento River, Highway 160
Sacramento River, Highway 160
Sacramento River, Highway 160
Bascule Bridge Sacramento River, Highway 160
Bascule Bridge Sacramento River, Highway 160

Bascule Bridge, Sacramento River, Highway 160, Built in 1923; rehabilitated in 1952. Know s the Paintersville Bridge, designed by the Strauss Engineering Company. The contractor was Moore Dry Dock Company of Oakland and the Sacramento County engineer at the time of its contstruction was Charles W. Deterding, Jr.

Bank of Courtland
Bank of Courtland
The Bank of Courtland opened on May 3, 1919, under the leadership of W.C. Clarke. The bank started off with 25,000 dollars in capital, but ceased operations during the Great Depression. The facade of the Greek Revival-style structure has six columns with Doric-style capitols resting below an ornately-carved pediment.
11723 River Road, Courtland
11723 River Road, Courtland

External Links

Recommended Reading


Courtland California Photo Tour Reviewed by Gene Wright on . Rating: 5

Facebook Comments