A Slim Profile Ideal for Inconspicuous Shooting
Pentax released its new 40mm f/2.8 XS SMC DA "pancake" lens with the K-01
mirrorless camera, making for a very small and portable camera-lens combination. With its K-mount, the lens is compatible with other Pentax
cameras. Does smaller become better? Check out the results for yourself.
The Pentax HD Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Lens is a pancake-style prime normal-length lens providing a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 60mm. The standard 39° angle of view is well-suited to everyday situations and the slim profile is ideal for an inconspicuous shooting style. A high-grade multi-layer HD coating has been applied to lens elements to help minimize flare and ghosting for enhanced contrast, clarity, and color fidelity and a seven-blade diaphragm contributes to an aesthetic out-of-focus quality to benefit shallow depth of field imagery. Additionally, an SP Protect coating has also been applied to the front lens element to effectively protect it from dirt, oil, and finger prints.
The compact form-factor of this lens integrates Pentax's Quick-Shift Focus System, which allows manual focus control over the lens at any time, even in AF mode, for precise handling over the focal plane.
Announced May 14, 2012
- Prime normal-length lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 60mm, covering a natural perspective that is well-suited to everyday applications.
- Slim, pancake-style lens measures just 0.6"-thick.
- High-grade multi-layer HD coating minimizes lens flare and ghosting to enhance contrast and color neutrality.
- Quick-Shift Focus System enables manual focus control at all times for precise handling that is well-suited to selective focus imagery.
- Super Protect coating helps to protect the front lens element from dirt and finger marks.