A Smaller, Lighter Version
of the Original 18-300mm VR
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens is an all-in-one zoom lens capable of shooting wide angle to super telephoto focal lengths. This lens has a zoom range of 18-300mm, which provides the 35mm focal length equivalent of 27-450mm in the DX format, making it useful in a wide range of shooting situations.
This new Nikon 18-300mm VR is a smaller, lighter version of the original 18-300mm VR. The original 18-300 was very good. This new lens is as good, and is smaller, lighter and less expensive, so it's even better!
My complaint about the original 18-300 was that it weighed much more than my camera, and this new 18-300 weighs ten ounces less!
The new 18-300mm also provides Vibration Reduction (4 stops) and instant manual-focus override.
It's very slightly slower at the 300mm end (f/6.3 versus f/5.6) than the
original lens, and by taking off 10 ounces, I now can carry this new lens everywhere I never
used with the old 18-300 much.
This new lens does everything, and even does macro. At 300mm, it focuses to within just inches of the front of the lens.
The lens utilizes a Silent Wave Motor for quick, quiet auto focusing for photo and video as well as internal focusing that keeps the lens design compact. Also, Vibration Reduction technology optically stabilizes the image to reduce the effects of camera shake and movement providing the equivalent of up to 4 additional shutter speed stops.
Helping with image quality are three aspherical and three extra-low dispersion glass elements that will minimize aberrations and Nikon's Super Integrated Lens Coating which reduces ghosting and flare while maximizing contrast. The lens has 7 rounded diaphragm blades for smooth out-of-focus areas and a 67mm front filter thread.
- The Silent Wave Motor autofocus system uses ultrasonic vibrations-rather than a gear system-to focus the lens, providing incredibly smooth, silent and precise autofocus operation.
- The Vibration Reduction image stabilization improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake for up to 4.0 stops of blur-free handheld shooting.
- Maximum magnification of 0.32x and a minimum focusing distance of 1.6'.
- Lens construction consists of 16 elements in 12 groups.
- Works on FX-format cameras in DX crop mode.
- Utilizes 7 rounded diaphragm blades for smooth out-of-focus areas.
- The three extra-low dispersion (ED) glass elements help by minimizing the effects of chromatic aberrations and maintaining optimal sharpness and contrast of the lens.
- Three aspherical lens elements reduce coma and other aberrations as well as correct the distortion in addition to keeping lenses smaller and lighter.
- Super Integrated Coating nearly eliminates ghosting and reduces flaring, maintaining a crisp image throughout the frame.
- A-M switch locks the focus ring during autofocus while still allowing manual focusing when the ring is turned.