Super-compact and Light
This is an entry-level telephoto zoom.
Its build quality feels a lot like that of the 18-55mm, a little shaky but nothing that
get in the way with using it. Sometimes the
autofocus seems a tad slow, due to the
smaller aperture, especially at the telephoto end.
The lens has a little softness to it, especially
when zooming above 135mm, even when I use a smaller aperture and
support it on a tripod. It is plastic construction right down to its lens mount. This thing looks and feels
like the label should say Fisher Price and not Canon. However, looks can be deceiving.
If you need a
low light lens, this isn't it. If your primary objective is to take pictures in
available light situations such as
concerts, then get the
Super-compact and light, this zoom lens is compatible with all EOS cameras and ideal for digital SLRs when used on the EOS Digital Rebel, it's equivalent to an approx. 90-320mm lens. The 13-element design's new optical coatings are optimized for digital cameras. It focuses down to under 4 feet (1.2m), and its Micro USM-powered AF is faster than ever, due to new electronics within the lens.
• New Exterior design with ribbed zoom ring and ultra compact manual focus ring
• Same optics as previous EF-55-200mm zoom lens, but new lens coatings for digital
• Thirteen Element design, with front group focusing
• Newly-revised lens CPU and electronics for significantly faster AF with new bodies
• Close-focusing to 3.9 feet - fill the frame with a subject the size of a postcard
• Mechanical design identical to previous EF-50-200mm lens
• Accepts optional lens hood ET-54
• Compatible with EF extension tubes, and 52mm close up lens