Dodge Motor Cars Through the Years


A Pictorial Glimpse of Dodge Motor Cars Through the Years

Dodge is an American brand of autos, minivans, and sport utility vehicles made by FCA US LLC (in the past known as Chrysler Group LLC), situated in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Dodge vehicles incorporate the lower-priced variations of Chrysler-badged vehicles and also performance autos, however for quite a bit of its presence Dodge was Chrysler's mid-valued brand above Plymouth. Dodge vehicles for the most part comprised of trucks and full-sized passenger automobiles through the 1970s, however it made a few compact cars during this time.

The 1973 oil emergency and its ensuing effect on the American vehicle industry drove Chrysler to create the compact to midsize car the K platform for the 1981 models. The K platform is credited with reviving Chrysler's business during the 1980s; one such derivative was the Dodge Caravan.

Dodge has weathered the many ownerships of Chrysler from 1998 to 2009, including its 1998 to 2007 fleeting merger with Daimler-Benz AG, its resulting sale to Cerberus Capital Management, its bailout by the United States government in 2009, and its ensuing Chapter 11 insolvency and Fiat acquisition.

Dodge, Ram, and Dodge's Viper brands were separated in 2009. However in 2014, SRT was again merged into Dodge. Soon thereafter, Chrysler Group was renamed FCA US LLC, comparing with the Fiat S.p.A merger. and Chrysler Group into Fiat Chrysler Automobiles single corporate structure.

Established as the Dodge Brothers Company machine shop by siblings Horace Dodge and John Dodge in late 1900, Dodge was initially a provider of parts and gatherings for Detroit-based automakers and in 1914 started fabricating complete autos under the "Dodge Brothers" brand, originating before the establishing of Chrysler Corporation. The factory was situated in Hamtramck, Michigan and was known from 1910 until 1979 as the Dodge Main Factory. Both the Dodge brothers died in 1920 of influenza and the organization was sold to Dillon, Read and Co. in 1925 before being acquired by Chrysler in 1928.

Dodge Brothers developed as a leading light truck manufacturer in the 1920s. They went into an agreement to sell trucks for Graham Brothers of Evansville, Indiana. The same Graham brothers who later built Graham-Paige and Graham cars.

Dodge Brothers, Inc., acquired a 51% in Graham Brothers, Inc., for $13 million in 1925 and the remaining 49% on May 1, 1926. All three of the Graham brothers, Joseph, Robert, and Ray, accepted administration positions in Dodge Brothers before leaving in 1927.

Full Size
1914 Dodge Brothers Touring
1914 Dodge Brothers Touring
1920 Dodge Model 30
1920 Dodge Model 30
1925 Dodge Tourer
1925 Dodge Tourer
1928 Dodge Victory Six 5 Window Coupe
1928 Dodge Victory Six 5 Window Coupe


Dodge After Chrysler Acquisition in1928

To fit better in the Chrysler Corporation lineup, next to the lower-priced Plymouth and medium-priced DeSoto, Dodge's lineup for mid 1930 was trimmed down to just two lines and thirteen models (down from three lines and nineteen models a little more than a year before). Prices began a little above DeSoto yet were to some degree not as much as top of the line Chrysler. DeSoto and Dodge swaped places in the 1933 model year, Dodge dropping to a place between Plymouth and DeSoto. As Plymouth autos were sold at Chrysler dealerships, Dodge vehicles were sold as a lower cost option to DeSoto

1930 Dodge Sedan
1930 Dodge Sedan
1935 Dodge Sedan
1935 Dodge Sedan
1938 Dodge Coupe
1938 Dodge Coupe
1938 Dodge Coupe
1938 Dodge Coupe
1939 Dodge 4 Door Sedan
1939 Dodge 4 Door Sedan
1941 Dodge Custom Town Sedan
1941 Dodge Custom Town Sedan
1942 Dodge Coupe
1942 Dodge Coupe
1946 Dodge Sedan
1946 Dodge Sedan
1947 Dodge Coupe
1947 Dodge Coupe
1948 Dodge Coupe
1948 Dodge Coupe
1949 Dodge Meadowbrook
1949 Dodge Meadowbrook
1950 Dodge
1950 Dodge 2 Door Hardtop
1951 Dodge
1951 Dodge  Coupe
1955 Dodge Royal
1955 Dodge Royal Sedan
1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer
1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer
2012 Dodge Charger RT8
2012 Dodge Charger RT8
2017 Dodge Charger
2017 Dodge Charger


Compact

Dodge Dart

1971 Dodge Demon
1971 Dodge Demon


Dodge Lancer

Dodge Caliber

Personal Luxury Coupes

Dodge Charger - 1966-1978

1968 Dodge Charger
1968 Dodge Charger
1974 Dodge Charger
1974 Dodge Charger


Dodge Challenger

2012 Dodge Challenger
2012 Dodge Challenger


Sports Cars

Dodge Viper

Pickups and Trucks

See Dodge Trucks

Recommended Reading

Dodge Motor Cars Through the Years Reviewed by Gene Wright on . Rating: 5