Established as A.L.F.A. ("Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili" aka (Anonymous Lombard Automobile Factory), June 24, 1910, in Milan — and active in auto racing since 1911.
The organization was owned by Italian state holding organization Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale from 1932 and 1986, when it became a member of the Fiat group. In February 2007, the Alfa Romeo label became
Alfa Romeo Automobiles S.p.A., a part of
Fiat Group Automobiles, now known as Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Italy. The organization that became Alfa Romeo was established in 1906 as Società Anonima Italiana Darracq (SAID) by the French auto firm of Alexandre Darracq, with local Italian investors. In late 1909, the Italian Darracq autos were selling very slowly and the Italian partners of the organization contracted Giuseppe Merosi to design new autos. On June 24, 1910, a new organization was established named A.L.F.A., still in association with Darracq. The initial non-Darracq auto delivered by the organization was the 1910 24 HP, a Merosi design. The first non-Darracq car produced by the company was the 1910 24 HP, designed by Merosi.
A.L.F.A. ventured into
auto racing, with drivers Franchini and Ronzoni contending in the 1911 Targa Florio with a pair of 24-hp models. In August 1915, the organization went under the leadership of Neapolitan business person Nicola Romeo, who changed over the production line to deliver military equipment for the Italian and Allied war endeavors. In 1920, the name of the organization was changed to Alfa Romeo with the first car to be badged was the the Torpedo 20-30 HP. In 1921, the Banca Italiana di Sconto, which sponsored the Ing. Nicola Romeo and Co, became bankrupt and the government was expected to support the industrial organizations involved, among which was Alfa Romeo, organized through the "Consorzio per Sovvenzioni sui Valori Industrial".
In 1925, the railroad activities were isolated from the Romeo organization, and in 1928, Nicola Romeo left. During 1933, the state ownership was reorganized under the the Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale (IRI) banner by the Benito Mussolini government administration, which then had effective control. The organization attempted to return to profitability soon after the Second World War, and switched to mass-producing little vehicles as opposed to hand-building luxury models.
In 1954, the company developed the Alfa Romeo Twin Cam motor, engine stayed in production until 1994. Amid the 1960s and 1970s, Alfa Romeo created several sports cars, however the Italian government parent organization, Finmeccanica, struggled to become profitable, so in 1986 it sold the brand to the Fiat Group. Alfa Romeo has successfully competed in Grand Prix racing, Formula One, sportscar racing, touring auto racing, and rallies. It has competed as both a manufacturer and a supplier of engines, by means of works entries (normally using the name Alfa Corse or Autodelta), along with private entries.
Their race car was created in 1913, three years after the establishment of the organization, and Alfa Romeo won the inaugural world championship title for Grand Prix cars in 1925. The organization gained a good reputation in motorsport, which provided a sporty image to the entire brand. In 1929, Enzo Ferrari established the Scuderia Ferrari racing team as an Alfa Romeo racing team, before turning independent in 1939. The company holds the world's title of the most wins of any brand in the world.
The 1910 ALFA 24 HP is 4.1-litre four-cylinder vehicle
1920 Alfa Romeo RL Sport
1930 Alfa Romeo 6c 1750 Gran Sport Spider
1940 Alfa Romeo 6c Cabrolet Pinin Farina
1950 Alfa Romeo Ghia 6C 2500 SS Supergioiello
1954 Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
1970 Alfa Romeo GTV
1980 Alfa Romeo Giulietta
1990 Alfa Romeo sz (Sprint Zagato)
2000 Alfa Romeo 147
2010 Alfa Romeo Giulietta
2012 Alfa Romeo Giulietta
2016 Alfa Romeo Giulietta
2017 Alfa Romeo 6c Concept
Alfa Romeo Motor Cars Through the Years
Reviewed by Gene Wright on